If two of your interests are going green for the environment and saving green in your wallet, then you’re in luck! Saving money while saving the planet often go hand in hand. Here are some ways you can work toward two goals at the same time.
- Get a smart thermostat. By setting your thermostat to automatically adjust the temperature, you can save money on your heating and cooling bills while reducing the amount of energy you consume. If you’re not home, set the thermostat a little warmer in the summer as there’s no sense cooling a house with no one in it! In the winter, let it get a little colder at night while you’re snuggled up under the covers.
- Unplug things when not in use. Did you know that your phone charger continues to draw power even when it’s not charging your phone? It’s true! TVs, appliances and other items that don’t get regular use should also be unplugged until you need them. Consider using a power strip with an on/off switch to make it easier to cut the power when not in use. This can save you plenty of money over time and cuts back on waste.
- Revamp your laundry habits. If you’re lucky enough to have a washer and dryer available to you, you’d use it, right? But if you really want to save money and be eco-friendly, there are a number of things you can do differently. First, make sure you’re washing full loads so as not to waste water. Next, use cold water for everything since heating the water takes energy. Use a clothes line or rack to air dry your clothes. Also, consider wearing your clothes more than once to reduce washing. This not only saves energy but it increases the lifespan of your garments.
- Become a minimalist. Buying less and owning less stuff reduces the impact you have on the environment. Recycling, upcycling, and repurposing your things can stop you from throwing something out that still has some life in it. When possible, buy used rather than new. Better yet, swap or borrow items you may need infrequently.
- Opt for paperless. When a store gives you the option to have your receipt emailed, take it! Most companies will also allow you to get statements, bills, and other correspondence through email or a secure website. Cutting back on the amount of paper you use can save the trees, reduce clutter, and save other valuable resources.
Sometimes you just need to pay for convenience. But just as frequently, you can choose to do what’s best for your bank account and help save the planet in the process!
If you’re ready for a new car but your credit is keeping you from getting approved, CreditYes can help with our bad credit auto loan program! We can match you with a dealership in your area that will be with you every step of the way. Our service is fast and free. Fill out our secure online application and get behind the wheel of your next car today!