Gas is expensive. That means that getting places - whether they are places you want to go or just to work - you need to put gas in the car if you want it to run. You can’t control the price of gas, but you can do some things to get better fuel economy. Follow these tips to help your gas go the extra mile.
- Don’t gun it. Your car may be able to go from zero to sixty in no time, but that doesn’t mean you should. Accelerating rapidly will use more gas than a more increase in speed.
- Keep your windows up. Driving with the windows down increases the wind resistance and causes your engine to work harder. When your windows are up, the car is more aerodynamic.
- Turn off the air conditioning. With the windows up, you may be tempted to turn the AC on immediately. However, if you can do without, you’ll use even less power.
- Keep your tires properly inflated. If your tires don’t have all the air they’re supposed to, the car doesn’t run the way it should. Again, this puts increased and unnecessary strain on the engine. In fact, consider slightly overinflating the tires by as much as 10 percent to experience even better gas mileage.
- Avoid stopping and starting. Every time you have to slow down, stop, and then get going again, you’re using more engine power than if you were to just maintain a steady speed. If possible, choose routes that allow you cruise through by avoiding traffic lights and stop signs.
- Slow down. The faster you drive, the more gas you use. Driving slower than 45 miles per hour will use far less fuel than speeding.
- Reduce the weight of your vehicle. If you’re used to using your car as a storage locker, you’re taxing your car more than you have to. Try taking some of the excess items out of your car to reduce the vehicle’s overall weight.
Remember, the harder you make your car work, the more gas you’ll use. Having to stop at the pump less often will save you money in the long run, and who doesn’t love that?
If you need auto financing but your credit is keeping you from getting approved, CreditYes can help! We can match you with a dealership in your area that will be with you every step of the way. Our service is fast and free. Fill out our secure online application and get behind the wheel of your next car today!