With gas prices set to continue rising through the summer, you know your wallet is about to take a hit. From road trips to grocery trips, you’re going to be paying more. There plenty of things you can do to conserve gas and make every gallon count. Here are some tips!
- Check your tires. Make sure your tires are inflated to manufacturer specifications. This will help your engine run better, which in turns saves gas. You may even want to slightly over-inflate them, as this can increase fuel economy.
- Don’t open the windows. Open windows create wind resistance, causing the car to have to work harder to move as fast. Keeping the windows closed increases the car’s aerodynamics and saves you money. Turning on the air conditioner will also use more power, so if you can, go without.
- Drive the highways. Maintaining a steady rate, as opposed to stopping and going, uses less gas. Therefore, you’ll often hear about gas consumption in terms of city driving vs. highway driving. Between the traffic lights and the stop signs, you’re stopping and going more when you travel around town than when you’re on a freeway or highway. Choose the route that allows you to stop less and you’ll save on gas.
- Avoid rapid acceleration. Gunning your engine takes more gas than gaining speed more slowly. Take your time pulling away from a stop to give your engine a break.
- Slow down. Cars use more gas the faster they go. In fact, driving less than 45 miles per hour is often the optimal speed for fuel economy.
- Take a load off. If you’re used to traveling with everything but the kitchen sink, here’s an excellent reason to clean out the car. Heavier vehicles use more gas. Consider this as you’re packing for a road trip and every day driving. If there’s no need to keep it in the car, don’t.
Increasing the time between fill ups can be accomplished by changing a few simple driving habits. While you may not be able to practice all of these all of the time, keeping them in mind while you’re on the go can definitely improve your gas consumption!
If you’re ready for a new car but your credit is keeping you from getting approved, CreditYes can help with our bad credit auto loan program! We can match you with a dealership in your area that will be with you ever step of the way. Our service is fast and free. Fill out our secure online application and get behind the wheel of your next car today!